You probably remember all the Valentine’s Day treats you received as a kid. Back in those days, the only thing more exciting than making dozens of Valentines Day crafts and collecting handfuls of heart-shaped candies was picking out a set of holiday cards to send to everyone in your life. As grown-ups, many of us have forgotten the art of sending Valentine’s Day cards. After all, it’s way easier to buy a Valentine’s Day gift for your SO, sign your name on the box, and call it a day. However, writing thoughtful Valentine’s day messages for all of your loved ones is something you might considering doing this year.
“Anyone you consider part of your inner circle should receive a card,” says Jodi RR Smith, founder of Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting. “Whether you’re expressing affection for a partner or appreciation for a friend, there is something so special about giving out handwritten, heartfelt messages of love.”
If you’re not sure what to write in a Valentine’s Day card, the key is to reflect on why this individual is important to you, says Smith. Be specific: What about them sets your heart aflutter? What do you appreciate about your friendship? Why are they one of your favorite people? As a starting point, check out the sweet sentiments, cute jokes, and romantic quotes below. Putting thoughtful words to paper is a great way to remind your partner (and the rest of your loved ones) just how special they truly are. Not to mention, a thoughtful Valentine’s Day message makes for the perfect keepsake they’ll treasure for years to come.
Sweet Valentine’s Day Wishes
- Happy Valentine’s Day! My favorite place in the world is right next to you.
- Whenever I feel like giving up, your love keeps me going.
- I never believed in luck until I found you.
- I met you. I liked you. I love you. I’m keeping you.
- Every love story is wonderful but ours is my favorite.
- You’re the one. I’ve never been so sure of anything in my whole life.
- I fell in love with you because of all the small things you don’t even realize you’re doing.
- Thank you for making me laugh and smile every single day since the day we met.
- Like you and me, some things are just meant to be.
- I’m a better person because of you. [List all the ways]
Funny Valentine’s Day Messages
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Are you seriously not sick of me yet?
- I’m yours. Sorry no refunds or exchanges.
- I love you. Though I like you a lot better after my first cup of coffee.
- I’m so happy and thankful to have found someone … as weird as me.
- All I need in this life is you and me. Oh, and WiFi. And wine. And snacks. But that’s it, I swear.
- You have the worst taste in TV shows, and I’m still madly in love with you. That’s how you know it’s real.
- Besides cheese, you are my favorite.
- You know how I knew you were the one? You’re the only person I can stand for longer than 6 hours.
- I know loving me isn’t always the easiest. But trust me, I’m worth it.
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Nothing says love like a piece of paper folded in half with some words on it.
Valentine’s Day Wishes for Friends
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Thanks for being my person.
- Our friendship is #relationshipgoals.
- We’ve been friends for so long that we’re basically married. I now owe you a Valentine’s Day card every year.
- You’re the Tina Fey to my Amy Poehler. (Or, any pop culture duo you love!)
- Making friends as a grown-up is hard. Thank you for making it easy.
- Good times. Bad Times. Fun Times. Tough times. No matter what, you’re always by my side.
- Friend love is the best kind of love. We’ll never break up because you refuse to pick up your socks.
- We go together like wine and any day of the week.
- Who needs a valentine when I have a best friend like you?
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Just wanted to let you know that you are LOVED.