Wondering how you’ll shop on Black Friday this year amid COVID-19 concerns? Here’s how to prep for an online Black Friday — and where to find the best deals.
Everyone loves bagging a bargain, especially on the biggest shopping day of the year (Black Friday). But Black Friday 2020 is going to be different. Even if stores hold in-store shopping events, they likely won’t be the same as the ones in previous years. Not only that, many people probably won’t feel safe going to the stores with COVID-19 still in the picture.
In a survey we performed in August, we found that, while 30% of shoppers want in-store Black Friday doorbusters, about 45% of shoppers don’t feel safe shopping in stores this holiday season.
What this all means is that online Black Friday sales will be front and center.
For our team, Black Friday has always been an online shopping event. We’ve been covering the best online deals for years. This guide will help you get the best Black Friday online deals and still enjoy the fun of holiday shopping.
Sign up for these retailers’ email lists
One of the best ways to prepare for the biggest shopping day of the year is to sign up for the best retailer mailing lists before Black Friday. Signing up for these mailing lists early is key because the Black Friday sales online start earlier each year. These lists will deliver the best deals straight to your inbox.
Here’s a list of the best retailer mailing lists and how to sign up for them:
- Bath & Body Works emails deliver special offers and fun surprises.
- Bed Bath & Beyond emails provide information about the latest deals and products. You can sign up near the bottom of the retailer’s home page.
- Best Buy emails can help you stay updated on all the latest sales and deals. The Best Buy homepage contains a link near the bottom of the page where you can sign up.
- Costco emails can give you the latest news about special offers and promotions.
- Kohl’s emails will send you updates about the biggest sales and clearance events, promo codes and free shipping offers. You’ll even get 15% off your next purchase just for signing up.
- Macy’s emails provide information about all the latest sales and savings events. You’ll also get 25% off for signing up. Just scroll to the bottom of the Macy’s homepage to find the link.
- Target emails give you access to exclusive offers and weekly ad reminders.
- Walmart’s weekly emails provide information about the best bargains and discounts. You can sign up near t
- he bottom of the Walmart home page.
Start shopping early and act fast
When it comes to getting the best deals on Black Friday, you have to do more than just sign up for the best retailer email lists. You also need to start your shopping early. Each year, retailers have been starting their sales earlier. In previous years, some stores started offering pre-Black Friday sales online starting on Nov. 1. This means you might want to get into the holiday shopping mindset right after Halloween. We expect retailers to start their Black Friday sales earlier than ever before in 2020. In fact, Home Depot has already announced it will offer its Black Friday pricing for two months, starting early November.
To make sure you get the best holiday and Black Friday online deals, you’ll want to act fast. The best deals tend to be available only in limited quantities and for a limited time, and the best items sell out fast. So the early shopper gets the best deals.
Shop the retailers known for the best online Black Friday deals
When you’re making a Black Friday online shopping plan, you’ll want to include these stores on your list:
- Amazon: Amazon is famous for its Black Friday online deals. In previous years, starting on Nov. 1, this online-only retailer has offered daily discounts and lightning deals to help you save big for the holidays.
- Best Buy: Best Buy is a fan-favorite on the Biggest Shopping Day of the Year. With hot deals on top electronics and free shipping for the holidays, it’s no wonder people love this retailer.
- eBay: eBay offers amazing online Black Friday deals on brand-new and refurbished products from top brands that range from Fitbit and Nike to Dyson and Mattel.
- Kohl’s: Kohl’s brings its A game with its Black Friday sales online. In the past, we’ve seen a greatly reduced free shipping minimum, thousands of deep discounts, Kohl’s Cash with certain purchases and online-only items that you couldn’t find anywhere else. Kohl’s also has a reputation for kicking off its Black Friday deals early online.
- Macy’s: Macy’s is the original player in the Black Friday game, and its Black Friday online deals prove it’s still a contender. With free shipping promotions and amazing deals on products all throughout the store, it’s the perfect place to complete your holiday shopping.
- Target: Target isn’t stingy with the savings. This retailer offers online-only deals in the days and hours leading up to Black Friday. You can also find free shipping offers and discount codes to make certain items even cheaper.
- Walmart: Walmart Black Friday online deals have been incredible over the last few years, and we predict this year will be even better. The retailer offers deep discounts on everything from toys for the little ones to home goods for the holidays.
Look for free shipping and promo codes during the holiday shopping season
When you’re shopping online, free shipping is your best friend. Thankfully, many retailers drop their free shipping minimums for the holidays. Some (like Best Buy) have dropped their free shipping minimums to $0 in previous years. Others have offered free shipping promo codes. Snagging free shipping is another reason to shop early. Due to pandemic-related shipping delays, cutoffs for free shipping may be earlier this year.
Although promo codes and coupons aren’t common on Black Friday, some retailers do offer them for use on non-sale items. For example, Kohls has offered online promo codes (and the ability to earn $15 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend) to help you save even more on the biggest shopping day of the year. Other retailers also offer money-saving promo codes. So keep your eyes peeled this year.
Do your online research to get the best price
One of the benefits of shopping online is that you can easily compare prices at different retailers. With just a few clicks of the mouse, you can see whether stores like Best Buy, Target or Walmart have the best deal on the hot item you’re after this year. When savings are at stake, it pays to do a little homework.
You can also keep checking BlackFriday.com to see the latest ads and deals during the holidays. Check out the ad scans as they come out.