Happy Mothers Day Quotes Messages
For some, finding the perfect Monday’s Day gift is easy and arranging a flower delivery is a doddle. But finding the words to tell her how much you care can be a little harder. Words carry a great deal of power, so sending a heartfelt written card is certainly one way to make her Mother’s Day on Sunday 8th May.
Whether a shop-bought or homemade Mother’s Day card, it’s important to take the opportunity to say just how special she is. So don’t just settle for a standard greeting card sentiment. We’ve rounded up some of the best Mother’s Day quotes and words of wisdom that will resonate with any mum.
Mother’s Day quotes:
1. “God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling.
2. “All I am I owe my mother.” – George Washington.
3. “I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars.” – E M Forster.
4. “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” – William Thackeray.
5. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colours of a rainbow.” – Maya Angelou.
6. “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” – George Eliot.
7. “You are the person I look up to most, when I am about to shatter. I think of your strength and harden. I think you are a magician, I want to fill the rest of your life with ease. You are the hero of heroes, the god of gods.” – Rupi Kaur.
8. “It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful?” – Mahatma Gandhi.
9. “So when you need her touch and loving gaze, gone but not forgotten is the perfect phrase. Smiling from a star that she makes glow, trust she’s always there watching as you grow. Find her in the place where the lost things go.” – Mary Poppins from Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns.
10. “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln.
11. “Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” – Meryl Streep.
12. “For when a child is born the mother also is born again.” – Gilbert Parker.
13. “A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” – Emily Dickinson.
14. “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heart throb.” – Leroy Brownlow.
15. “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” – James E. Faust.
16. “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” – Amy Tan.
17. “Don’t poets know it better than others? God can’t always be everywhere: and, so, invented mothers.” – Sir Edwin Arnold.
18. “Mothers can forgive anything! Tell me all, and be sure that I will never let you go, though the whole world should turn from you.” – Louisa May Alcott.
19. “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” – Lady Gaga.
20. “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” – Lin Yutang.
21. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie.
22. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Mermillod.
23. “Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunhill of a world, our mother’s love is not.” – James Joyce.
24. “There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.” – Jill Churchill.
25. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard.
26. “When it came to listening, my mother taught me open heart and silence. When it came to speaking, said it is not done with the mouth but through thought and patience. When it came to being, said be tender and rough at once for you must remain vulnerable to fully live but tough to survive it all. When it came to choosing, said to be thankful and willing for choices were the one thing she never had the privilege of making.” – Rupi Kaur.
27. “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.” – Cheryl Lacey Donovan.
28. “My mother: she is beautiful. Softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.” – Jodi Picoult.
29. “We are born of love; love is our mother.” – Rumi
30. “What if, there isn’t enough time to give her what she deserves. Do you think if i begged the sky hard enough my mother’s soul would return to me as my daughter. So I can give her the comfort she gave me my whole life.” – Rupi Kaur.
31. “Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.” – Gail Tsukiyama.
32. “I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” – Mitch Albom.
33. “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” – Susan Gale.
34. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes.
35. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren.
36. “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” – Oprah Winfrey.
37. “The mother memories that are closest to my heart are the small, gentle ones… They have carried me through the years and given my life such a fine foundation that it does not rock beneath flood or tempest.” – Margaret Sanger.
38. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo.
39. “Because I feel that, in the Heavens above. The angels, whispering to one another, can find among their burning terms of love. None so devotional as that of ‘Mother’” – Edgar Allen Poe.
40. “A mother’s someone who loves and cares for you and tells you stories.” – Wendy Darling from Disney’s Peter Pan.
41. “Well, a mother, a real mother, is the most wonderful person in the world. She’s the angel voice that bids you goodnight, kisses your cheek, whispers ‘sleep tight.’” – Wendy Darling from Disney’s Peter Pan.
42. “This is the role of the mother and in that visit I really saw clearly, for the first time, why a mother is really important. Not just because she feeds and also loves and also cuddles… but because in an interesting and maybe an eerie and other worldly way, she stands in the gap. She stands between the unknown and the known.” – Maya Angelou.
43. “Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” —Robert A. Heinlein.
44. “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honoré de Balzac.
45. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” – Diana, Princess of Wales.
46. “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart—a heart so large that everybody’s joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.” – Mark Twain.
47. “When your mother asks, ‘Do you want a piece of advice?’ It is a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.” – Erma Bombeck.
48. “If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder.
49. “My mother’s gifts of courage to me were both large and small. The latter are woven so subtly into the fabric of my psyche that I can hardly distinguish, where she stops and I begin.” – Maya Angelou.
50. “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty.
Mother’s Day messages to write a meaningful card
Use these Mother’s Day messages along with our Mother’s Day quotes suggestions to inspire your own words and write your Mother’s Day card this year.
- “Thank you for everything you do for me/us/our family. Your kindness and support means the world. Love you mum.”
- “Here’s to you mum, today and everyday – thank you for all that you do.”
- “I’m so lucky to have you as my mother and best friend. Love always.”
- “My mum, my best friend and my inspiration. If i’m half the mother you are, i’ll consider my kids very lucky.”
- “I’m so blessed to call you my mum.”
- “Wishing you a Mother’s Day as special as you are. Can’t wait to give you a hug soon.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to the best Mum in the world! So grateful to have you in my life.”
- “Thank you for making me the person I am today – I couldn’t have done it without you.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day! Thank you for always being by my side – i’d be lost without you. All the love in the world.”
- “To the world’s greatest Mum and Grandma – Happy Mother’s Day! We love you beyond words.”
- “Sending some special wishes to an extra-special mum this Mother’s Day. Though we can’t be together today, I look forward to seeing you soon. Miss you mum.”
- “You’re my hero mum – here’s to you on this special day. With all our love.”