Not sure what to cook on Good Friday? These delicious seafood dishes will everyone happy and tummies full too!
Creamy fisherman’s potato bake
Potato bake doesn’t need to be relegated to a side dish. This fisherman’s potato bake is a seafood pie and creamy potato dish wrapped into one, and it’s every bit the main event.
Grandma’s crispy Yorkshire fish cakes with mushy peas
These fish cakes with mushy peas have a lot of history. Grandad, a professional fisherman caught the fish and Grandma used the leftovers from his catch to make this delicious, hearty meal.
Wild tuna fish cakes
This is a treat for the whole family, it’s quick, easy and uses MSC Certified John West tuna. Make this delicious recipe for a summer afternoon snack for the family or whip it up for a summer BBQ party.
25 Recipe ideas for Good Friday
Some will fast, some will eat strictly light and, most will avoid meat while embracing fish; we round-up some fulfilling Good Friday meals.
We have chosen five excellent dishes for five varieties of food lovers out there, from families sitting together around the table to solo meals or even a romantic dinner for two.
Take a look at our fish and vegetarian meal ideas, and enjoy a satisfying Friday meal before the festivities of Easter this weekend.
Fulfilling family meals
1. Vera’s seafood chowder – Neven Maguire
2. Cauliflower and green bean biryani – Kevin Dundon
3. Roast vegetable coconut curry – Rachel Allen
4. Killybegs fish pie – Neven Maguire
5. Orzo vegetable soup – Clodagh McKenna
Dinner for two
6. Baked pollock – Martin Shanahan
7. Parsnip and cumin soup with poached haddock – Oliver Dunne
8. Parmesan crusted fish of your choice – Stephane Reynaud
9. Lemon sole with pistachio pesto – Clodagh McKenna
10. Baked mushroom risotto – Rachel Allen
11. Smoked salmon and chive fishcakes – Rachel Allen
14. Warm and interchangeable shellfish salad – David McCann
15. Pear, blue cheese, walnut and rocket salad – Larry McCarthy
Pleasing the kids
16. A well-balanced smoked haddock kedgeree – Sally Bee
17. Chickpea burgers – Donal Skehan
18. DIY baked potatoes – Catherine Fulvio
19. Homemade fish fingers – Martin Shanahan
20. Vegetable pasta bake – Kevin Dundon
Healthy and wholesome
21. Shepherdless pie – The Happy Pear
22. Soy steamed cod – Paul Flynn
23. Barley and root vegetable stew – Domini Kemp
24. Vegetarian gumbo – Lorraine Fitzmaurice
25. Azuki burgers – Tommy Fitzmaurice
GOOD FRIDAY LUNCH IDEAS
The Good Friday tradition is one that practised by many families in the lead up to Easter Sunday. Many families do not consume red meat on this day and consume seafood or vegetarian dishes as an alternative. This tradition is based on religious belief, however it is adopted in many homes, regardless of religion. If you are looking for a dinner meal that is tradition-friendly, here are some of my favourite Good Friday dinner ideas.
1. SALMON AND DILL BURGERS WITH KALE COLESLAW – Fish burgers become a gourmet treat with this quick and easy recipe. Find taste.com.au’s ideas here.
2. SALMON MORNAY PASTA BAKE – This is a great pantry recipe, most ingredients would be found in the fridge and pantry, macaroni, tinned salmon, mustard, milk, cheese etc. It is a great meal that can be made ahead of time if needed. Find my recipe here.
3. RICOTTA GNOCCHI WITH EGGPLANT SAUCE – This gnocchi recipe is so delicious and is a good alternative for Good Friday. Find the recipe here.
4. BLACK BEAN AND QUINOA ENCHILADA BAKE – A healthy and delicious meal that will become a staple at your house!Find TWO PEAS AND THEIR POD’s here.
5. CREAMY GARLIC PRAWNS – Once the prawns are peeled, this dish comes together so quickly. Find the recipe here.
6. FISH STEW – I used barramundi instead of ling fish. If you find the dish to be a little bland, use fish stock instead of water and a bit of curry for some extra flavour. Find the recipe here.
7. CREAMY TAHINI GREEK PASTA SALAD -This particular pasta salad combines a few of my favourites: Greek flavors, tahini and pasta! Find She Likes Food’s recipe here.
8. SALMON WITH COCONUT THAI CURRY SAUCE – I love salmon, actually I’m happy to have it simply seasoned with salt and pepper, but when I made this meal I thought some curry sauce would team together nicely with the rice and vegetables. It was very tasty! Find the recipe here.
+ 11 VEGETARIAN DINNER IDEAS – I don’t cook vegetarian meals that often, but I do enjoy the occasional vegetarian dish every now and then to break up meat dishes. I’ve put together my list of 11 Meatless Dinner Ideas. While these dishes are suited for vegetarians, meat-lovers will enjoy them as well. View 11 Vegetarian Dinner Ideas here.
Traditional Good Friday Meal Ideas
01/7Good Friday Special: Easy Dinner Ideas
A traditional Good Friday Meal is all about fish, lobsters, shrimps and other such seafood delicacies. People have lavish lunches and dinners with all types of food choices with their family and friends. If you too are looking for some Good Friday special meals, then here are some easy yet delectable meal ideas for you.
To make the lobster mixture, take a bowl, add ½ kg cooked lobster meat, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and ½ cup mayonnaise. Mix them well.
Now spread some butter on a pan and toast hot dog buns until golden brown. Fill the stuffing in the buns and serve with some potato chips on the side.
03/7Garlic Salmon with Lemon Butter
Firstly line a baking tray with a large piece of foil and preheat an oven. Now mix ¼ cup melted butter, ¼ cup lemon juice, 8 minced garlic cloves and 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Place your salmon in the lined baking tray, pour this mixture on it, sprinkle salt and pepper as per taste. Now fold the foil in such a way that it completely seals the packet. Bake it for 10-12 minutes. Once done, open the packet and grill the salmon for 3-4 minutes more. Garnish with lemon slices, parsley and serve.
04/7Grilled Fish Tacos
Take a small bowl, whisk 1 tbsp oil, 3 tbsp lime juice, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chilli powder, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin powder and ½ tsp paprika together. Add some fish fillets to the bowl and coat them well. Let them marinate for 30 minutes. Now grill the marinated fish fillets for 3-4 minutes from both sides. Now place some tortillas shells on a plate, line them with cabbage leaves, add more veggies of your choice like tomatoes and capsicum. Place fish fillets in the tortillas and grill them for 30 seconds more. Now garnish with sauces of your preference to make the tacos more delicious and serve.
05/7Butter Poached Fish
Heat 2 tbsp butter in a pan and let it heat. Add 4 tbsp diced onions and cook until translucent. Add 2 tbsp lemon juice, 4 tbsp butter and mix well. Now add the fish fillets into the pan and gently coat them with the mixture. Cook it well for 5-6 minutes, sprinkle some salt, pepper and serve the buttery fish with some stir-fried asparagus.
06/7Shrimp Salad Stuffed Avocados
Take 2-3 avocados, chop into halves and remove the seed. Keep the hollow avocados on a plate. In order to prepare the stuffing, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add 1 cup peeled shrimps, 1 tsp chilli powder and salt as per taste. Cook until the shrimps are opaque. Turn off the heat, add 2 tbsp lime juice, ½ cup chopped tomatoes and mix well. Divide the mixture by filling the avocados with them, garnish with cilantro and serve.
07/7Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Heat 2 tbsp butter in a pan, add 1 tbsp flour and whisk continuously to avoid lumps. Now gently add 1 and a half cup of milk and stir well. Use a whisk to make a smooth mixture. Now add 1 cup cheddar cheese and mix until the cheese is completely melted. Add 1 cup blanched cauliflower florets in the mixture, along with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and mix. Pour it into a grease baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes. Your cheesy dish is ready to be served.
Fishy Good Friday recipes that your toddler will love
Easiest fish fingers
Make your own fish fingers at home with this super easy recipes the kids will love!
Healthy fish and sweet potato pie
This yummy fish pie is great for you and super tasty! Ready to eat in an hour, so a good option for weeknight dinners.
Old-school fish cakes
This is a lovely recipe for the whole family to enjoy; my boys just love them and I often have to make a double batch. They are so nutritious and flavoursome.
Salmon filo pies
Here’s a twist on an old-fashioned fish pie. The creamy sauce is rich and flavoursome, marrying beautifully with the salmon. And the crispy filo pastry adds texture and crunch.
Fish burgers with lemon mayo
So healthy and out of this world tasty! These fish burgers with lemon mayo are light, creamy and oh so lemony … delicious!
Quick glazed salmon
You can have this quick glazed salmon on the table in 20 minutes. Its simple Asian flavours are healthy and fresh and we could all do with more fish in our diet.
These fish croquettes combine tuna or salmon with yummy mashed potato and other sneaky veggies. Lightly pan-fried, they’re nice and crunchy and the kids will devour them!
Creamy fish pie
What could be better than a creamy fish pie topped with mashed potato? This recipe is healthy and comforting: cook it tonight and keep everyone in the family happy.
Crispy tuna potato cakes
Add healthy fish into your diet with these delicious crispy tuna potato cakes. You’ve probably got all the ingredients in your pantry right now.