Dads play no small role in the lives of their children and who they grow up to be. Come the third Sunday in June, it’s time to celebrate them. To make Dad feel extra special this year, you might select just the right gift (perhaps a book?) or make a DIY one for him. Or you can spend quality time together doing something he enjoys, perhaps listening to music. But what might mean more to him than all of that is a verse of scripture.
Peruse the list of Father’s Day Bible verses below to find one that’s a sincere reflection of what a blessing your father or father figure is to you, or the love that bonds the two of you together. You might write one in a card (you can print one for free too!) to go with his gift and add some personal words of your own to go with it.
Bible Verses About Fathers
- Ephesians 6:4: “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”
- Proverbs 1:8: “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching.”
- 2 Corinthians 6:18: “And I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”
- Psalm 103:13: “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.”
- Proverbs 22:6: “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”
- 2 Samuel 7:14-15: “I will be a father to him, and he’ll be a son to me. When he does wrong, I’ll discipline him in the usual ways, the pitfalls and obstacles of this mortal life. But I’ll never remove my gracious love from him.”
- Proverbs 23:22: “Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.”
- Proverbs 23:24: “The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.”
- Psalm 32:7-8: “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.”
- Proverbs 4:11-12: “I will guide you in the way of wisdom and I will lead you in upright paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered, and when you run, you will not stumble.”
- Luke 15:20: “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.”
- Deuteronomy 1:31: “There you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”
- Malachi 4:6: “He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers.”
- Hebrews 12:7: “Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?”
Bible Verses About Husbands
- Ephesians 5:28-29: “In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church.”
- 1 Corinthians 16:14: “Do everything in love.”
- Proverbs 30:18-19: “There are three things that amaze me—no, four things that I don’t understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman.”
- 1 Peter 3:7: “In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:14: “For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
- 1 Peter 4:8: “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
- Ecclesiastes 9:9: “Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that he has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun.”
- Mark 10:9: “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
Bible Verses About Love
- Lamentations 3:22: “The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end…”
- Psalm 103:8: “The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.”
- John 15:9: “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.”
- Jeremiah 31:3: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:7: “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
Bible Verses About Faith
- Joshua 24:15: “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
- 1 Corinthians 16:13: “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”
- Proverbs 14:26: “Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.”
- Proverbs 3:3-4: “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.”
- Philippians 4:6: “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Romans 12:12: “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
- 2 Timothy 2:15: “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”
- Proverbs 3:11-12: “My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”
- 3 John 1:4: “It is the greatest joy of my life to hear that my children are consistently living their lives in the ways of truth.”
Fathers Day Bible Verses
7 The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them.
20 So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, 12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
6 Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” 4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
26 Whoever fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
1 Timothy 6:11
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
29 Then I said to you, “Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. 30 The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, 31 and in the wilderness. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”
3 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. 5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.
6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”
1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
1 Timothy 4:8
8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
13 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.
1 Corinthians 16:13
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.
3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.