The term ‘Steel Magnolias’ is often used to refer to strong women.
‘Steel Magnolias’, a comedy-drama movie directed by Herbert Ross, hit the screen in 1989. The title is an oxymoron that describes strong women who have great strength as that of steel while at the same time they have the tenderness of a magnolia flower.
The movie ‘Steel Magnolias’ boasts of a strong star cast in the names of Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Julia Roberts, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Tom Skerritt to name a few. These evergreen stars have stepped into the characters of M’ Lynn Eatenton, Truvy Jones, Ouiser Boudreaux, Annelle Dupuy Desoto, Clairee Belcher, Shelby Eatenton Latcherie, and Drum Eatenton. The movie shows how women can take adversity heads on and still have the strength to smile and laugh away all the despair. We need more movies like these to reinforce our belief in better humanity.
The ‘Steel Magnolias’ movie quotes share the essence of each character with great fortitude. We bring the quotes from ‘Steel Magnolias’ that have a free spirit of their own and show us the beauty in love, friendship, and camaraderie among women.
The Witty Quotes Of Ouiser Boudreaux
Shirley MacLaine exemplifies the character of Ouiser boudreaux. Ouiser is the abridged version of the name Louisa. The name is pronounced as ‘Weezer’. The name refers to a rich, ill-tempered, and elderly person. If you decipher each quote of Ouiser in the movie, you will find a deeper sense of love for freedom hidden in this traditional southern woman. Years of wisdom are calling out for its free share of liberation. Each quote will tickle your brain cells. Here are a few select ‘Steel Magnolias’ quotes Ouiser glorifies.
1. “I’m not crazy, M’Lynn, I’ve just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!”
2. “A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.”
3. “Don’t try to get on my good side, Truvy. I no longer have one!”
4. “The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.”
5. “Clairee: And I can also report that a mysterious car is parked in her driveway at least once a week…
Ouiser Boudreaux : There. My secrets out. I’m having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!”
6. “He’s a real gentleman! I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it!”
7. “Clairee Belcher: Ousier’s never done a religious thing in her life.
Ouiser Boudreaux: Now that is not true. When I was in school, a bunch of my friends and I would dress up as nuns and go bar-hoppin’.”
8. “My God, you look different. Have you shrunk?”
9. “Clairee Belcher: The older you get, the sillier you get.
Ouiser Boudreaux: Yeah, well the older you get, the uglier you get.”
The Sassy Truvy Jones Quotes
Now, if you were thinking that Ouiser was witty enough, we share with you the vivacious Truvy Jones. Truvy Jones is your typical next-door neighbor charming lady who doesn’t miss a beat on getting the juicy scoops in their neighborhood. Her lively persona shines through in the movies. She owns a beauty shop and is the receiver and dispenser of all town gossip. Dolly Parton does full justice to the character of Truvy Jones in ‘Steel Magnolias’. A few quotes are given below.
10. “There’s so much static electricity in the room, I pick up everything but boys and money.”
11. “In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels good, I buy a size eight.”
12. “Smile! It increases your face value.”
13. “Time marches on and sooner or later you realize it is marchin’ across your face.”
14. “Oh, honey, God don’t care which church you go, long as you show up.”
15. “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.”
16. “There is no such thing as natural beauty.”
17. “I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.”
18. “The nicest thing that I can say about her is that all her tattoos are spelled correctly.”
The Shelby And Lynn Duo
Sally Field and Julia Roberts portray the characters of M’ Lynn and Shelby, respectively. The mother-daughter duo shares a typical bond; they have their share of ups and downs. M’Lynn is a quintessential protective mother who would go any length for the well-being of her child. Shelby’s share of misery is given by the fact that she suffers from damaged kidneys and is warned by her physician not to bear a child. But her fiancé assures his love for her and that he would never leave her. Eventually, she gets pregnant. To top it off, Shelby is diagnosed with Type I diabetes. She suffers from her ailments in the movie. Here are a few interesting quotes from these characters.
19. “I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something.”
20. “I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.”
21. “Pink is my signature color.”
23. “Well, we went skinny dipping and we did things that frightened the fish”
Funny Quotes To Share From The Rest Of The Characters
If you thought the rest of the characters are dull, here are a few quotes to change your perception.
24. “You sound almost chipper. What happened today, you run over a small child or something?”
25. “Clairee Belcher: Janice Van Meter got hit with a baseball. It was fabulous.
Truvy Jones: Was she hurt?
Clairee Belcher: I doubt it. She got hit in the head.”
26. “My personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair.”
27. “Oh, Ouiser — I don’t wanna have to kill you.”
28. “Annelle Dupuy Desoto: That is one ugly dog. What kind of dog is that?
Clairee Belcher: If it had hair, it’d be a Saint Bernard.”
29. “The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”
30. “Well, you know what they say: if you don’t have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!”
31. “Ouiser, I’d recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin’ of a serial killer.”
32. “Ouiser could never stay mad at me; she worships the quicksand I walk on.”
STEEL MAGNOLIAS QUOTES
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Was she prayin’?
Truvy Jones: Yes.
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Why.
Truvy Jones: Because she got me, maybe she was prayin’ for Marshall and Drew and Belle. My, she was prayin’ for is because we were gossipin’. Maybe she was prayin’ because the elastic shot in her pantyhose. Who knows that she prays at the drop of a hat these days.
Truvy Jones: What are your colors, Shelby?
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: My colors are “blush” and “bashful”
M’Lynn Eatenton: Her colors are “pink” and pink”
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: My colors are “blush” and “bashful”, Mama!
M’Lynn Eatenton: How precious is this weddin’ gonna get, I ask you?
Truvy Jones: Oh, sweetheart, don’t. Please don’t cry or I will too. I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.
Ouiser Boudreaux: The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.
Truvy Jones: Oh, Sammy’s so confused that he don’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.
Clairee Belcher: They were both high. They’d been smokin’ everything but their shoes.
Truvy Jones: I’m just screamin’ at my husband; I can do that any time!
Annelle Dupuy Desoto: Miss Truvy, I promise that my personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair.
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Well, we went skinny dippin’ and we did things that frightened the fish.
Truvy Jones: When it comes to pain and sufferin’, she’s right there with Elizabeth Taylor.
Ouiser Boudreaux: I am just about at the end of my rope with you.
Drum Eatenton: Well, then why don’t you tie a noose and slip it ’round your head?
Clairee Belcher: I’ve just been to the dedication of the new children’s park.
Truvy Jones: Yeah, how did that go?
Clairee Belcher: Janice Van Meter got hit with a baseball. It was fabulous.
Truvy Jones: Was she hurt?
Clairee Belcher: I doubt it. She got hit in the head.
Ouiser Boudreaux: What’s the matter with you these days, M’Lynn? You got a reindeer up your butt?
Ouiser Boudreaux: This is it, I’ve found it, I’m in hell.
Ouiser Boudreaux: He is a boil on the butt humanity!
Ouiser Boudreaux: A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Ouiser Boudreaux: Drum, eat shit and die.
Truvy Jones: Smile! It increases your face value.
Clairee Belcher: The only thing that separates us from the animals that are our ability to accessorize.
Ouiser Boudreaux: You are a pig from hell.
Clairee Belcher: I love ya more than my luggage.
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Pink is my signature color.
Truvy Jones: Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin’ across your face.
Truvy Jones: In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight.
Clairee Belcher: Ouiser, you sound almost chipper. What happened today – you run over a small child or somethin’?
Clairee Belcher: Ouiser could never stay mad at me; she worships the quicksand I walk on.
Truvy Jones: Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.
Truvy Jones: There’s so much static electricity in the room, I pick up everything but boys and money.
Ouiser Boudreaux: I’m not crazy, I’ve just been in a very bad mood for fourty years!
Clairee Belcher: Well, you know they say: if you don’t have anything nice things to say about anybody, come sit by me!
Ouiser Boudreaux: I’m not as sweet as I used to be.
M’Lynn Eatenton: I don’t wanna alienate the entire neighborhood
M’Lynn Eatenton: I don’t wanna alienate the entire neighborhood.
Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: I think the neighborhood would feel more alienated if they got covered in bird shit at my reception.
M’Lynn Eatenton: Pretty talk!! Do ya have to be so crude?!!
M’Lynn Eatenton: Pretty talk! Do ya have to be so crude?!