The day of the dead is one of the most important holidays in Mexican culture that pays respect and homage and celebrates their dead ancestors, and near and dear loved ones by setting up an altar of their pictures and offerings.
In Spanish, it is known as Día De Los Muertos and is celebrated on the first and the second day of November with, great pomp and gaiety. In Mexican culture, mourning is considered to be insulting for the dead; hence, everyone commemorates the dead with music, revelry and food and pray to, and for, their safe passing and peace in the afterlife.
Here is a list of some of some Dia De Los Muertos quotes which you are bound to love.
Quotes About Day Of The Dead
Are you looking for some beautiful Day of the Dead quotes that show how Mexican culture keeps their loved ones and ancestors alive in their hearts even after death? Here is a wholesome list of some of the best Dia De Los Muertos quotes.
1. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
2. “From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.”
3. “He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.”
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
4. “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
-J.K. Rowling, ‘Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone’.
5. “But strew his ashes to the wind whose sword or voice has served mankind. And is he dead, whose glorious mind lifts thine on high?”
-Thomas Campbell, ‘Hallowed Ground’.
6. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.”
7. “A human life is a story told by God.”
-Hans Christian Andersen.
8. “God pours life into death and death into life without a drop being spilled.”
9. “The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.”
– Lucius Annaeus Seneca.
10. “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.”
11. “The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them.”
-Lois McMaster Bujold.
12. “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.”
-Marcus Tullius Cicero.
13. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.”
14. “Thinking and talking about death need not be morbid; they may be quite the opposite. Ignorance and fear of death overshadow life, while knowing and accepting death erases this shadow.”
15. “We must be diligent today. To wait until tomorrow is too late. Death comes unexpectedly. How can we bargain with it?”
16.” A day grows old as we do. Do not wish death upon it. Let it live, let it love, and only then should you let it rest in peace.”
-Michelle C. Ustaszeski.
Famous Day Of The Dead And Death Quotes
Here is a list of some of the best Day of the Dead quotes about this holiday which is known as Dia De Los Muertos in Spanish. There have been some great movies related to this Mexican holiday for example, ‘Coco’, a beautiful animated film by Pixar. This list also has Day of the Dead movie quotes related to death.
17. “We never bury the dead, son. We take them with us. It’s the price of living.”
-Mark Goffman and Jose Molina, ‘Sleepy Hollow’.
18. “I knew a man once who said, ‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.'”
19. “Oh, may I join the choir invisible of those immortal dead who live again.”
20. “Día de Muertos has begun! It’s the one night of the year our ancestors can come visit us.”
21. “Death isn’t sad. The sad thing is: most people don’t live at all.”
-Socrates, ‘Peaceful Warrior’.
22. “In Mexico, most of the activities and artistic displays connected with this holiday—including special food offerings, cemetery vigils, home altars, and the like—are a folk elaboration entirely separate from liturgical requirements.”
– Stanley Brandes.
23. “If there’s no one left in the living world to remember you, you disappear from this world. But you can change that!”
24. “Just a thin veil, between this world. And that world of beauty and love, just a thin veil that hides the view of our Spirit loved ones above!”
-Gertrude Tooley Buckingham, ‘Just A Thin Veil’.
25. “People are really dead when you forget about them, and if you think about them, they are alive in your mind, they are alive in your heart”
– Mary J. Andrade.
26. “Death is the gate of life.”
-St. Bernard of Clairvaux.
27. “This kind of thing happens alongside the more intimate observation of the family altar… They are not in opposition to one another.”
– Claudio Lomnitz.
28. “Old age. It’s the only disease that you don’t look forward to being cured of.”
-Mr. Bernstein, ‘Citizen Kane’
29. “People do not die for us immediately, but remain bathed in a sort of aura of life which bears no relation to true immortality but through which they continue to occupy our thoughts in the same way as when they were alive. It is as though they were traveling abroad.”
30. “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.”
-The Bible, Psalm 116:15.
31. “Is death the last sleep? No, it is the last final awakening.”
32. “The spiritual dimension of the Day of the Dead is central to the experience of most celebrants.”
– Stanley Brandes.
33. “Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, in sure and certain hope of resurrection.”
-Book of Common Prayer.
34. “People fear death even more than pain. It’s strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over.”
35. God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
-The Bible, Revelation 21:4.
DÍA DE LOS LOS MUERTOS QUOTES
“Feliz día de los muertos.”
“Remember and celebrate Day Of The Dead.”
“Death is the most beautiful way to lose a loved one.”
“I wish all my latino mutuals a very pleasant Dia De Muertos.”
“A human life is a story told by God.” – Hans Christian Andersen
“The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh. Happy Day of the Dead to you!”
“God pours life into death and death into life without a drop being spilled.”
“The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.” – Seneca
“Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” – George Eliot
“By all accounts, death is the most beautiful journey ever! Happy Day of the Dead!”
“Thinking of you with a heart full of love and pride as we observe the Day of the Dead.”
“The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
“For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
“Oh, may I join the choir invisible of those immortal dead who live again.” – George Eliot
“After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – J.K. Rowling
“To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell, “Hallowed Ground”
“For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?” – Kahlil Gibran
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow, and I am in them, and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch
“He spake well who said that graves are the footprints of angels.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them.” – Lois McMaster Bujold
“May the souls of our deceased cherished ones always know true happiness wherever they might be relaxing.”
“In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.” – Robert Ingersoll
“Death is a profoundly beautiful thing. Never be afraid of it. Enjoy this festival of the Day of the Dead to the max!”
“It’s my prayer that God will bestow blessings upon anyone that is remembering a loved one on the Day of the Dead.”
“Of all the gifts that God has blessed mankind with, death is the most beautiful. Have a memorable Día de Muertos.”
“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive.” – Norman Cousins
“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – From a headstone in Ireland
“Oh, may I join the choir invisible of those immortal dead who live again.” – George Eliot, “The Choir Invisible”
“[M]emory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you wish to never lose.” – Bob Brush
“I knew a man who once said, ‘Death smiles at us all; all a man can do is smile back.” – “From the movie “Gladiator”
“Death is for many of us the gate of hell; but we are inside on the way out, not outside on the way in.” – George Bernard Shaw
“For death, Now I know, is that first breath Which our souls draw when we enter Life, which is of all life center.” – Edwin Arnold
“Dear God, may we forever remember and honor our dead family members and friends. Happy Day of the Dead to all my loved ones!”
“As we celebrate this special festival, may we never forget that death isn’t the end. There’s so much beauty and excitement in the afterlife.”
“We never bury the dead, son. We take them with us. It’s the price of living.” – Mark Goffman and Jose Molina, “Sleepy Hollow ”
“All say, “How hard it is that we have to die” — a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.” – Mark Twain