With each passing year, new opportunities and dreams pop up. Along with the positives we look forward to, there are inevitably new challenges and obstacles as well. Whether it’s that one guy who loves to toy with your emotions all year long and you just didn’t drop him fast enough, or your work life is stressing you out, new problems can always dampen an otherwise great year. 2020 was pretty tiring for a lot of people in the current political climate we’re in right now. Needless to say, we all deserve some positive quotes for the new year in 2021 to bring on the good vibes.
Did you have a great 2020? Was your mind clear, your belly well-fed spiritually and physically, and you received the promotion you were hoping for? God bless you, but you also need some positivity. Everyone does… even if your personal life is flourishing. But especially if you’re in a bit of a rut, pleasant reminders are always great to have.
While a lot of these quotes are from TV and movies (because they are chalk full of inspiring and quotable characters), we can also find positivity in real life and from each other as well. So, don’t forget that when you’re feeling down, and here are some gems to get you started.
1. “If I’m going to be defined, it’s going to be by my victories and my losses. No one else’s.” — Kara Danvers, Supergirl
2. “Don’t ever let somebody tell you you can’t do something… You got a dream, you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.” — Chris Gardner, The Pursuit of Happyness
3. “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” — Helen Keller
4. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” — Willie Nelson
5. “The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
6. “Do, or do not. There is no ‘try.'” — Yoda, Star Wars
7. “Strong is fighting. It’s hard and it’s painful, and it’s everyday. It’s what we have to do. And we can do it together.” — Buffy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
8. “The show must go… all over the place… or something.” — Finn Hudson, Glee
9. “Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.” — Dory, Finding Nemo
10. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” — Lyndon B. Johnson
11. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.” — Ferris, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
12. “What I hear when I’m being yelled at is people caring loudly at me.” — Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation
13. “Your positive action combined with positive thinking results in success.” — Shiv Khera
14. “I’m cookie dough. I’m not done baking yet. I’m not finished becoming… whoever the hell it is I’m gonna turn out to be. I make it through this and the next thing and the next thing, and maybe one day I turn around and realize I’m ready, I’m cookies. And then, y’know, if I want someone to eat m — or, enjoy warm, delicious cookie me, then that’s fine. That’ll be then. When I’m done.” – Buffy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
15. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it.” — Rafiki, The Lion King
16. “Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?” — Ian Wallace, What a Girl Wants
17. “Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun. You are.” — Christina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy
18. “A bruise is a lesson… and each lesson makes us better.” — Arya Stark, Game of Thrones
19. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” — Audrey Hepburn
20. “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” — Heath Ledger, 10 Things I Hate About You
21. “All you can do in life is try and solve the problem in front of you.” — Cady, Mean Girls