National Pizza Day History
National Pizza Day seeks to appreciate the baked flatbread typically topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Pizza is believed to have been invented in Naples, Italy around the 10th century. It has grown to become one of the most popular foods in America.
America’s first pizzeria, Lombardi’s, opened in 1905 in New York. Since then, pizza consumption in America has increased greatly and many pizza chains such as Pizza Hut, Domino’s, and Papa John’s have emerged. National Pizza Day is believed to have emerged during the early 2000s. It is observed annually on February 9th.
In the News and Trending for National Pizza Day
Updated National Pizza Day: Here are some absurd facts about pizza
National Pizza Day 2020: Get free pizza and deals for Oscars Feb. 9
National Pizza Day: 5 signs you’re at a bad slice shop
The best deals for National Pizza Day, in NYC and beyond
National Pizza Day 2020: Free Pizza and Deals at Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Papa John’s and More
National Pizza Day Facts & Quotes
- The world’s largest pizza, named Ottavia, was made on December 13, 2012 in Rome, Italy. With a surface are of 1,261.65 m², the pizza was made by Dovilio Nardi, Andrea Mannocchi, Marco Nardi, Matteo Nardi and Matteo Giannotte. To spread a message of good health, the pizza was made entirely gluten-free.
- In the 5-year period ending in March 2018, the pizza restaurant industry grew by 2.5%, reaching a revenue of $47 billion in 2018. The industry also saw a 1.7% growth in the number of businesses and a 2.5% growth in the number of employees.
- In 2010, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) reported that 40% of the total daily calories consumed by 2-18 year olds were empty calories (calories from foods without nutrients). Six foods were the source of half of these empty calories: pizza, dairy desserts, grain desserts, soda, fruit drinks, and whole milk.
- According to gross sales earned by pizza chains, the top 5 American pizzerias are:
1) Pizza Hut, gross sales of $13.4 Billion
2) Domino’s, gross sales of $8.9 Billion
3) Little Caesars, gross sales of $3.4 Billion
4) Papa John’s, gross sales of $3.3 Billion
5) Papa Murphy’s, gross sales of $7.85 Million
If I could eat whatever I wanted every day, I would have Domino’s pizza with pasta carbonara inside every slice. And at night, I would have Neapolitan ice cream until I felt absolutely toxic. And then I would drift off telling myself, ‘It’s going to be O.K… It’s going to be O.K. you’re going to train in the morning’– Robert Downey, Jr., Actor
National Pizza Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Visit your favorite pizzeria. Most pizzerias will offer discounts and specials to celebrate National Pizza Day.
- Attend a pizza festival! Here are some of our favorites to consider:
1) Cleveland Pizza Fest
2) Phoenix Pizza Festival
3) Pizza Festival – Los Angeles
4) Chicago Pizza Fest
5) Pizza Fest Seattle: Annual Punk Festival+Pizza-Eating Contest
- Make your own pizza at home from scratch. Make the dough, perhaps gluten-free or whole wheat, make the sauce using tomatoes and spices, grate the cheese and finally cover it up with all of your favorite toppings.
- Try a pizza with unique toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
1) Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza
2) Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
3) Butternut Squash and Sage Pizza
4) Fried Chicken Pizza
5) Brown Butter Lobster and Spinach Pizza with Bacon and Fontina
- Make it a pizza and a movie kind of night. Watch the Academy Award nominees for ‘Best Picture’ (2020):
Ford v Ferrari
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Jojo Rabbit Marriage Story